jo in zambia

May/June 2005

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Slow food

Three meetings yesterday. The first was at 12 and went on till 1.30. We had to get across town to the second, so there was no time for lunch, but we begged our driver to take us somewhere to eat before the third. And so it was that at 3 pm I was standing in LA Fast Food, which offers pizza, chinese, burgers and cheese toasted sandwiches.

Or does it? Chinese (it stated on the menu) took 'minimum 20 minutes', which we didn't have, so I tried to order a 'fishburger'. No, said the woman, I am only for pizza orders (actually she didn't *say* that, just waved her hand languidly above her head at the pizza sign), and pointed me down the counter to the next woman. She had a bit of a crowd round her (unlike pizza woman) but eventually it seemed to be my turn and I asked for a fishburger. No fishburgers. So I asked for a cheese toasted sandwich. And a bottle of water. I have to order the water from the bottle of water woman.

I also have to pay the food payment woman for the sandwich, and pay the drink payment woman for the water. I have interacted with five people to order and pay for my lunch. Today I will be appreciating the aubergines and spinach in the little house at the back of the office a whole lot more.

jo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home